Alpha History

Where We Came From


Alpha Lambda Phi Alpha sorority was founded in 1900. The sorority began as a literary club for women at Occidental. Then, in 1905, the club became the first sorority at Occidental and was named after the first letter of the Greek alphabet. The word 'alpha' represents the Greek word 'arete,' which means virtue, womanhood, dignity, character and excellence of every kind.


Our emblem was designed by the president of Alpha in 1920. It displays a shield that represents strength and is upheld by two Occidental tigers. Over the shield lies a string of pearls, each to represent one of the founding members. Below the shield are the Greek words for friendship, scholarship and fidelity, ideals that we strive to uphold everyday.